Classic Disneyland Attraction Reopens Feb. 6;
Southern California Residents Can Visit
Disneyland Resort With ‘2fer’ Value Ticket
A beloved Disneyland attraction returns to Fantasyland on Friday, Feb. 6, when “it’s a small world” opens with some new storytelling magic. With the premiere of a new “Spirit of America” scene, new musical enhancements, and a new look for some of the attraction’s familiar child dolls, “it’s a small world” will once again take guests of all ages on “the happiest cruise that ever sailed.”
This classic attraction has been renovated and enhanced while retaining the world-renowned charm that holds such a special place in the hearts of Disneyland guests. The “it’s a small world” journey continues to celebrate children of the world and their message of harmony and friendship. And now, for the first time, guests will be able to find some of the child dolls dressed as their favorite Disney characters, in the countries where their stories take place. For example, dolls dressed in Aladdin and Jasmine costumes play in the Middle East scene, and a doll dressed as Alice from “Alice in Wonderland” appears in the Great Britain scene.
Guests will enjoy riding “it’s a small world” again and again as they search for the 29 Disney and Disney•Pixar characters now represented in the attraction. Some appear as child dolls and some are playful-looking toys, such as the White Rabbit who accompanies Alice. The new doll costumes and toys are fashioned in the same artistic style that has made “it’s a small world” an icon around the globe. That style was created by art director, color stylist and Disney Legend Mary Blair, whose sense of design shaped “it’s a small world” from the very beginning.
“We know that many people have been eagerly awaiting the opportunity to relive their ‘it’s a small world’ memories and to create new ones with children, grandchildren and friends,” said Disney Imagineer art director Kim Irvine. “It’s a pleasure to once again offer this beloved attraction to Disneyland guests, now with some special Disney enhancements.”
- Among the enhancements is a new “Spirit of America” scene based on original concept art by Disney Legend Mary Blair, in keeping with the “it’s a small world” theme that friendship crosses all nations, including the United States.
- Child dolls that are costumed as stylized representations of their favorite Disney characters can be spotted in several scenes.
- The children in many “it’s a small world” scenes will have a variety of new stylized toys to play with, inspired by Disney and Disney•Pixar characters: Woody and Jessie for “Spirit of America,” a Mushu dragon kite for China, “The Three Caballeros” marionettes for Latin America, and others.
- Additional fresh touches will be heard in the augmented “it’s a small world” soundtrack. The renowned “it’s a small world” song, written by Academy Award®-winning composers Richard M. and Robert B. Sherman (“Mary Poppins”), will still play throughout the attraction. Now, however, some subtle film music is woven into the song as counterpoint melodies, fitting the characters and scenes.
- All of the boats in “it’s a small world” are new and designed to evoke the look and feel of boats that children of the world might play with anywhere.
See “it’s a small world” with the “Southern California 2fer Ticket”*
Southern California residents, many of whom have grown up with “it’s a small world” and taken their own children on the voyage, have a special value opportunity to enjoy the enhanced attraction as Disneyland Resort asks “What Will you Celebrate?” The “Southern California 2fer Ticket,” which can be purchased now through June 3 for the price of a one-day one-park ticket ($69 for age 10 and up; $59 for age 3-9), lets guests experience Disneyland or Disney’s California Adventure on one day, and then come back on another day to play at the other park for free. For information, visit www.disneyland.com
or call (714) 781-7290.
Pin traders, collectors and avid “it’s a small world” fans will be able to obtain exclusive theme park collectibles and attend “it’s a small world” merchandise artist signings at Disneyland Resort. Two limited-edition “it’s a small world” artisan watches will be available at the Fortuosity Shop on Main Street, U.S.A., on February 6 and February 28 respectively. Pin traders may still be able to order the Limited Edition “it’s small world” collection, released January 30: eight pins featuring “it’s a small world” dolls in Disney character costumes as they appear in the attraction at Disneyland. A separate “first set sail – it’s a small world” pin will be available online exclusively to Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders on February 15. And Disney Legend Alice Davis, who designed the original “it’s a small world” costumes, will appear with artist Dave Avanzino at a special signing and release of collectible art objects on February 28 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Disneyana Shop on Main Street, U.S.A. For more information about these items and more, visit www.DisneyGallery.com
Disneyland Resort features two spectacular theme parks – Disneyland (the original Disney theme park) and Disney’s California Adventure park – plus the downtown Disney District composed of unique dining, entertainment and shopping experiences. The Resort’s three guest-welcoming hotels are the luxurious 745-room Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, the magical 988-room Disneyland Hotel and the “day-at-the-beach” fun of the 489-room Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel. For further information on attractions, events and vacations at Disneyland Resort, visit www.disneyland.com
, call (866) 60-DISNEY or contact local travel agents.
* Tickets valid for Southern California residents within ZIP Codes 90000-93599 and Northern Baja California residents within ZIP Codes 21000-22999. Proof of residency required for admission. Admission valid for one Park each day, but not for both Parks on the same day. Tickets are valid 30 days from first use. First use must occur between 1/6/09-6/3/09. Each day of use constitutes one full day of use. May purchase up to 8 tickets per person per day with valid ID. Tickets may not be sold or transferred for commercial use. Offer may not be combined with other discounts or promotions. Offer not valid before 1/6/09. Subject to restrictions and change without notice.